Thursday, June 14, 2012

2 Kings 4:1-7: Living in Expectation

So I won't lie. God is pretty cool. And He likes to rock your world. At least, He rocks my world on a daily basis. And I'm not saying that in the 90s rock way, I mean, God likes to come in and pretty much just mess with your head, and show you the coolest things known to mankind.
God has been speaking to me lately (in the past month or so) about how we need to live with the expectation that He is going to act.
Read 2 Kings 4:1-7 (read all of 2 Kings actually, and you'll get the same picture)
If you don't have your Bible handy, it's the story of the widow whose sons are about to be sold to pay off her late husband's debt. The one where she has to sell oil, and her one jar of oil doesn't run out until there are no jars left in the neighbourhood, and she sells all that oil, and completely pays off her debt.
Anyway, what struck me about the story was the widow's attitude. She knew she didn't have anything. She knew there was nothing she could do. But she understood God's character, and what she knew of God's character and personhood caused her to step out in faith, with the expectation that God was going to do something!
God really convicted me through that.
And ideas starting rolling around in my brain. And soon God spoke to me about this...

In order for the church to grow, it needs leaders (and followers, lol, mostly just members) who are not afraid to tap into the power of God, who are already seeing the truth of God bearing evidence in their own lives, who lose themselves in worship before the King, who have a heart for the lost which shows itself in the power and frequency of their intercession.

Isn't this what the church needs?
Just a thought...That's how God has been rocking my world lately. Pushing me into a place where I will, as Michael Slaughter puts it...catch on fire for God, and [have] people come to watch [me] burn...

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and feedback welcome!